Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights. Usually Diwali last five days in many area of the India. In 2020, Diwali is on 14 November (Saturday).
Diwali is one of the most popular festivals of Hinduism. The festival symbolizes the spiritual victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance.
This festival is associated with Lakshmi who is the goddess of prosperity. But this festival also connected with Sita and Rama, Vishu, Krishna, Yami, Durga, Kali, Dhanvantari, or Vishvakarman.
For the preparation, people started to clean, renovate and decorate their homes and workplaces with different items. Diyas and rangoli the decoration of houses has been done which ultimately increase the beauty of the house. Beside these, peoples also wear finest clothes which makes them beautiful on that day.
In the evening, every family member worship Lakshmi who is the Goddess of prosperity and wealth. After this, there will be light fireworks and exchange of gifts while eating sweets. Diwali is also a major cultural event for the Hindu and Jain diaspora from the Indian subcontinent.
After twenty days of Dashera, Diwali has been celebrated. Diwali is celebrated for five days.
- For the first day, celebrants has to prepare their house by cleaning them and decorating the floor by using rangoli
- The second day is known as Naraka Chaturdashi.
- The third day has been celebrated as a main day of Diwali.
- In some part of India, the day after Lakshmi Puja has been celebrated as Govardhan Puja and Balipratipada which is dedicated to the relationship between wife and husband.
- Last day is celebrated as Bhai Dooj in some Hindu communities. Bhai Dooj is dedicated to the bond between sister and brother. In some other communities of Hindu and Sikh craftsmen, this day is marked as Vishwakarma Puja. It is celebrated by maintenance in their work spaces and offering prayers.
Along side of Diwali, some other festivals are also celebrated by different communities in India. Diwali is marked as the final liberation of Mahavira by the Jains. While Sikhs celebrate Bndi Chhor Divan which is indicated as the release Guru Hargobind from a Mughal Empire prison.
On the main day of festival of Diwali, the official holiday is been declared in Fiji. Guyana, India, Malaysia, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago.